Friday, February 10, 2012

How does the following Spanish sentence translate into English: "vaya donde queda ese pais"?

I was in a Spanish-English chatroom, not talking to anyone since my Spanish isn't so great (I'm like a 1-year student), but just seeing how natural speakers communicate. Then someone started speaking to me, via PM. We talked about some typical stuff in Spanish like how are you and our names and all that, and I said in Spanish that I'm from Bangladesh. It slipped my mind to say that I live in the United States.



Then he/she said "vaya donde queda ese pais". I didn't know what this meant so I started typing in English. We didn't chat anymore since I guess chatting in English is not so special. So what does this sentence mean? I'm quoting it exactly in punctuation, too. Thanks for the help :)How does the following Spanish sentence translate into English: "vaya donde queda ese pais"?
Vaya donde queda ese pais. --- Go to where that country is located.

Apparently the person with whom you were chatting is not very good at Spanish either.

What he was telling you is:go back from where you came.

The reason why he did not communicate with you in English is not that English is not cool.It's that he was a racist and didn't want to communicate with you anymore.

The reason why I believe this is because you state that you wrote this statement exactly the way it was conveyed to you.

If it would have been an excited remark it would have read as:

Vaya.Donde queda ese pais?(Spanish has the inverted question mark at the beginning of a question).

In that case it would indeed be:Wow!Where is that country?

But you wrote it as a statement with no period nor excalamation mark after vaya and no inverted question mark before donde and no question mark after pais.Thus vaya donde queda ese pais is indeed go to where that country is located.
Thank you for choosing my answer as Best Answer.I really appreciate it.

I don't know much about texting nor chat rooms language.I'm old school.So I thought that maybe you could be right,but the fact that he didn't continue communicating with you anymore makes me feel that I am right.Thanks again.

Report Abuse

How does the following Spanish sentence translate into English: "vaya donde queda ese pais"?
Im a natural spanish speaker, and i live in an spanish speaking country... she indeed meant "Where is that country?" and said "vaya" as she used it here could be interpreted like an exclamation such as "wow", i believe the user who answered before was wrong in his assumption... she probably has never heard of bangladesh and was like "wow, where is that country?"How does the following Spanish sentence translate into English: "vaya donde queda ese pais"?
"Vaya" in this case is used as an informalism, meaning "hey" or "listen". What the other person meant to ask you is "Where is that country?", but with the little colloquialism that made it sound like he/she was trying to say something else.
It means "where is this country going"
Vaya is an interjection, meaning something like "Really!" or "You don't say!" Your correspondent wanted to know where is that country located. A little ignorant, but nothing negative as such.
hahaha, Trebor is wrong...everyone else is right lol



hes saying "vaya" as in oh or hey

but he just wanted to know where the country is found
  • scars
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment